Filed under News, Showcase

‘Tis the season for testing

Testing! Testing! Testing! It is that time of year again for students. As the school year ends the tests can pile up and become overwhelming. Just a few of these tests include end of year finals, SAGE testing, Advanced Placement exams, and International Baccalaureate (IB) tests.

Teachers are beginning to pile on the work and students are feeling the pressure as it gets closer and closer to testing days. Most students are preparing for end of year finals which will typically go on the student’s grade and is a review of the entire year.

The SAGE test is a standardized test that students in Utah take to measure what they have learned over the year. It is supposed to help show how well teachers, students, and the school as a whole are doing. A.P. tests are tests for high school students. The test is  scored one through five and if the student can get a three or above, they pass can get college credit. IB tests are for juniors and seniors in the program. They take these tests at the end of the year to work towards getting their IB diploma.

All AP tests cost ninety-three dollars and will begin in May. Unfortunately it is too late to sign up now. According to AP Statistics, English Language and Composition is the most popular test with 390,754 students taking the test. Following that is U.S. History. Language tests such as AP Spanish and AP Chinese typically have the highest pass rate. While, physics and environmental science have a pass rate below 50%. Ali Willits, a senior who has passed all her exams said, “I am really stressed out right now, it’s crunch time, but I know it will all be worth it in the end.” Many students feel the same way as the workload piles on in this preparation.

IB assessment and exams are also taking place at the end of the month. There are occasional test conflicts for students taking both AP and IB tests. Be sure to talk to a counselor and check the dates to avoid any complications.

Sage testing is not required but if a student should choose to opt out there is a mandatory test given by Canyons School District that will be taken instead. IB testing consists of both external and internal testing to fully measure a student’s capabilities. This includes your typical standardized tests along with non-traditional essays and projects.

As this crazy testing season continues on be sure to study hard, get a lot of sleep, but most importantly remember they are just tests.