Filed under Opinion

The wizarding world paradox

The wizarding world paradox

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jk-rowling-confirms-fantastic-beasts-7477036

Even though the last Harry Potter book came out in 2007, the wizarding world has continued to expand. There are eight movies based on the books, a stage play, a spinoff series of movies, books of fairy tales, and even a theme park. Right now there is a pop-up store in South Town mall specializing in Harry Potter merchandise. Everyday someone reads the story for the first time and long time fans continue to be delighted.

Not all the fans are happy with the new stories though. When the script for “The Cursed Child” came out, fans were initially very excited despite the fact that it was not written by J.K. Rowling. It would be the first new Harry potter story to come out in almost a decade.

It was met with mixed reviews though. Many who read the script were not pleased. They felt that it misrepresented the characters and took the story to unrealistic places. Would Cedric Diggory really ever have become a death eater? Unlikely. Overall, the plotline was hard to follow with multiple timelines and underdeveloped characters.

Puja Iyer, a sophomore here at Hillcrest says, “Generally the book was confusing and choppy and kind of badly written.”

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” was also released in late 2016 and fans went crazy. With a screenplay written by J.K. Rowling, it added to the universe while keeping the same feel as the books and original movies. It felt familiar and new at the same time.

That changed when “Crimes of Grindelwald” was released on November 16 with much the same issues as “The Cursed Child.” Characters made choices that made no sense, not to mention plot holes like Professor McGonagall teaching at Hogwarts despite not being born for another eight years. The attention to detail that fans are accustomed to in Rowling’s writing was just not there.

So here is the paradox. Fans want more from the universe, but they do not accept anything that is given to them. They accuse everything Rowling does as a cash grab which may be true on some level, but there are other reasons too. Rowling runs a large company, supplying jobs to many people and if the story does not continue, then those people are out of a job.

What needs to happen next is a compromise between the fans and the creator. Fans want more and they should not be mad when they get it. The creator needs money and jobs but they should give their fans quality content. Rowling should continue to keep her standards high, not just make everything she produces quick and easy money. Doing this would make things better for everyone.

1 Comment

One Response to “The wizarding world paradox”

1. Rosi Cronshey on January 15th, 2019 4:40 pm

The problem with J.K. Rowling is that her ego gained such a large boost from the success of the original Harry Potter series that she now believes her lazy editions to the beloved universe should be enough for her loyal fans. When instead her ridiculous tweets and simply unfinished novels and scripts got the deserved response, turning her fans against her, her arrogance pushed her to ignore any criticism and power forward. This is what resulted in such ridiculous mistakes such as the extreme error in McGonagall’s date of birth, errors which are honestly unforgivable coming from such a decorated author who certainly has the resources to insure such mistakes are not made. In my opinion J.K. Rowling needs to either stop attempting to add to a completed universe in order to get as much money from the franchise as she can, or at the very least should put in the effort to make the additions worth the time and money of her fans.

• The wizarding world paradox

Face-to-face? No thanks

• The wizarding world paradox

The Cohen trial

• The wizarding world paradox

Is the new smoking age really effective?

• The wizarding world paradox

Maroon 5 Controversy

• The wizarding world paradox

Ellen Page uses her platform for good

• The wizarding world paradox

Should a president diversify or unify?

• The wizarding world paradox

Do your clothes “Spark Joy?”

• The wizarding world paradox

It’s your choice to romanticize

• The wizarding world paradox

Trump’s Tigers

• The wizarding world paradox

Effects of the government shutdown

The wizarding world paradox