Filed under Features

Smashing for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

The agenda for the Hillcrest Iditarod not only included Hillcrest Idol and an art auction, but a video game night, which also helped raise some cash for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

On Wednesday, December 12, Hillcrest students with a charitable heart and a mind for gaming gathered in the small gym for a gaming night.

Student Body Officer artist Aisha Khan stated, “We wanted to bring the community together and find something appealing for the student body.”

While deciding which activities to do, SBO Senior Class President Josh Olson added, “We made a list and put ourselves in the shoes of our peers.”

Last year, Hillcrest held a gaming tournament not for fundraising, but for fun.

“During Homecoming Week, we did video game night where we used the entire small gym, set up giant blow-up screens, and we brought Wii’s and Nintendos and we set up lots of video games,” Olson explained.

Due to how well the video game night went in September, the SBO’s agreed to hold a gaming tournament for this year’s Hillcrest Iditarod, which raised money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that creates a thick excess of mucus in areas such as the lungs and pancreas, which can lead to lung infections and damage, respiratory failure, or limit the body’s ability to absorb important nutrients, according to the official Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s website.

For only five dollars at the entrance, Hillcrest students could enter and participate in a big gaming tournament. With the low price on entering the event, the student body hoped to make somewhere between $300 to $500 on the gaming night alone, since similar events for this year have raised similar amounts.

The main attraction of the event was a tournament with the newest installment of the Super Smash Brothers series at the time, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, which released five days prior to the event.

The tournament rules were that the top two advanced and each player had three in-game lives during each match.

Consoles for the event were brought by students like Hayden Fischer and Jacob Bangerter, while two big screens in the small gym projected the tournament matches, with two smaller screens to practice playing the game.

The entire gaming event ran from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the small gym, with the winner being Hillcrest Freshman Hunter Morgan.

About the Contributor