Filed under News, Showcase

Cystic fibrosis Christmas fundraiser

Cystic fibrosis Christmas fundraiser

Hillcrest High School has been raising money for their annual Christmas fundraiser and this year all proceeds are going to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation describes the disease as, “a progressive, genetic disease that causes persistent lung infections and limits the ability to breathe over time.”

Their bodies have a thicker mucus that builds up in their lungs and other parts in their body, including their digestive system. The average lifespan in 1980 was only 20 years old, however the life expectancy for someone with CF today is about 37 years old.

Natalie Moss, teacher at Hillcrest High, was diagnosed with CF just a few days after she was born. “When I was little my parents taught us to have no regrets, to live life to the fullest that we can and do everything we are able to and want to do,” said Moss. “So ever since I was little I make goals and whatever I set my mind to, I do it. I do as much as I can.”

Having CF requires hours of treatment everyday, Moss said, “Each day I have to do multiple lung treatments to move mucus in my lungs, and try to maintain my lung function percentage.”

They began fundraising on Tuesday December 4, kicking it off with the all day assembly. This year they allowed Venmo to be used to collect donations, rather than just cash.

Since then Hillcrest has thrown many activities to raise money for the CF foundation. Activities included a super smash bros game night, the annual spontaneous dance which invited students from other schools in Canyons School District, Hillcrest Idol, and a dodgeball tournament.

The SBO’s also sold Krispy Kreme donuts in the morning before school and delivered them to students during app. Hot chocolate and candy cane grams were sold as well. All proceeds going to The CF foundation.

Medical care for CF has been improving immensely over the years. “People are living longer, getting better lung treatment, getting medicine and antibiotics. It’s come a really long way and gives us hope for the future,” said Moss.

The fundraising at Hillcrest ended on December 19, and after just over 2 weeks of raising money, the SBOs raised over $19,000 to go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which is a record setting amount that has been raised by Hillcrest.

If you would still like to donate, you can go to cff.org and donate directly through the website.