Filed under Opinion

Women finally in Congress

Women finally in Congress

nbcnews.com

nbcnews.com

nbcnews.com

January 3, 2019 is a day that will forever go down in history. The new and “historic” congress was sworn in on Thursday and it is now the most female and racially diverse Congress in history.

There were more than 100 women sworn into the House of Representatives, covering all demographics and areas from racially to sexually, according to CNN. There are 10 new elected senators, 5 of them women. Rosen from Nevada, Sinema from Arizona, Smith from Minnesota, Blackburn from Tennessee, and Hyde-Smith from Mississippi. 42 total women will join Congress this January. This is a huge, life changing moment in history and it’ll be interesting to see what will happen.

I think it is wonderful that there are now so many women in Congress and on the Senate. Especially women from all different types of life. Some of the most major historic firsts include, the first Native American women to serve in Congress, the first Muslim woman, first minority representative, and the first openly bisexual congresswoman.

These are all a really big deal and I think that these women will do amazing things while being in Congress. A lot of them have mentioned how they are looking forward to being able to speak for their culture or their people. This is such a cool moment in time because we get people from all walks of life into Congress.

All of these women are so excited to finally be here and be able to do this and it is truly amazing. Ilhan Omar, the first Muslim congresswoman, posted a picture of her and her dad in the airport on Twitter.

She wrote, “23 years ago, from a refugee camp in Kenya, my father and I arrived at an airport in Washington DC. Today, we return to that same airport on the eve of my swearing in as the first Somali-American in Congress. #Hope #Ilhan.”

Seeing all the pictures, posts, and comments about how these women feel to finally be here, is truly eye opening. I am excited to see what they accomplish and the difference and impact they will making being on the Senate and in Congress. I hope this can impact everyone and become and eye opening experience to women all over the world about their importance to our society.

About the Writer