Filed under Features

The Instagram egg

Instagram and Lizzie Moss

Social media is something that everybody in America focuses on. We use it for reminders, catching up with old friends, posting about your amazing trips, online shopping, absolutely anything.

Sometimes we use it for other reasons that might not be as important. Over the last couple of years there have been some crazy things go viral. For example, the dress that changes colors, the yodeling kid, Laurel and Yanny, and most recently… the Instagram egg that beat the world record of most likes on one picture.

The Instagram egg is a conversation that has been roaring since January 4th when it was first posted. The account @world_record_egg posted the photo with the caption “Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram. Beating the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)! We got this!”

“It attracted 50.5 million likes, to become the most liked post on Instagram… ever.” said Entrepreneur.

This egg has beat other records by flying colors. The top two most liked photos are, Kylie Jenner’s birth announcement that has 18.7 million likes to date and Beyoncé’s pregnancy announcement that has 11.3 million likes to date.

Serghei Platanov was the man that originally took this picture, but he wasn’t the person who posted it. They remain anonymous.

“My goal was to take a simple picture of an egg. For fun. Never ever I could think that it would be a sensation like this,” he said. “Egg is just an egg.” stated by VICE.

Platanov is wanting everyone to learn a lesson about ourselves because of this egg, “It does not pretend to be an image for getting fans, it does not pretend to be a Fabergé egg or imagining ‘Would I look better if I am colored for Easter, what color fits me best.’ It is not hunting for anyone’s attention,” he said. “It is a simple egg.”

If you really want to take something from this experience, it’s that we need to stop comparing ourselves and live the way we are, totally and completely be ourselves.  Instagram tends to sometimes create a fake reality – a place where the grass always looks greener on someone else’s side. The egg shows us that being real, being yourself is okay and can be even better than trying to be something that you’re not.  You are worth a lot just how you are.

About the Writer