Hillcrest’s Sunday in the Park with George

Winning the Pulitzer prize for drama, two Tony Awards for design, many Drama Desk Awards, and two Olivier awards, the musical Sunday in the Park with George was presented by Hillcrest High School Students on January 24 through 26.
Hillcrest theatre students have been working on the play for months. Kami Loertscher, a theatre student who has been involved with the musical as well as previous productions stated,”We started working on it in November, the beginning of November inside of class, and started in January outside of class. We’ve been working on costumes for three months.”

Visitors from around the county came to Hillcrest on these nights to view the breathtaking performances that are given every year by the Hillcrest Theater Program. Students from Granger High School and Corner Canyon High were in attendance, as well as other schools from around the valley. Inspired by the famous painting by Georges Seurat, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, Sunday in the Park With George is a magnificent piece of art itself.

During the first act, the main character George Seurat, played by Quinton McFarland, is an artist who was struggling to stay afloat and connect to his audience. Mostly set during the 1880’s in France, the community was not receptive to his art and its meanings, which caused him to start drifting from the person whom he held closest.
Dot, played by Aleisha Meier, is the only other person who truly understands George, and fills the role of his model as well as his lover. As George struggles to find his way to both express himself and appeal to his audience, he starts to close himself off from Dot and everything that keeps him moving forward.

During the second act, McFarland played the main character still, but the setting transferred to the 1980’s. McFarland’s character is still named George, and is a descendant of George Seurat.
The two acts are strikingly similar, with both of the main characters striving to promote and perfect their creations, and facing societal backlash along the way. For instance, during the second act, George is fighting to promote the newest model of his invention, and it starts out in a party with many prominent members of the society.

There are interesting pieces of trivia that are associated with the play. Each song in the first act correlates to a song in the second act, answering questions that were left unresolved at first. Eleven colors were used in the painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, and 11 instruments were used in the soundtrack of the musical.
Overall, Sunday in the Park with George is a very artistic play, and was captured well by Hillcrest High’s student actors and actresses.

About the Writer