Come one, come all, to the Husky Fair

Ms. Veenstra

At Husky Fair, clubs at Hillcrest came together to help incoming freshmen find interests and discover what’s exciting about high school.

On February 5, both current and future students congregated at booths to learn more about high school options.

Ms. Walters, a counselor at Hillcrest, explained, “Husky Fair was an opportunity for current students to come into the cafeteria and see what classes and clubs are offered at Hillcrest. That part started at 3:30 and then at 4:45, we invited our current 8th graders that will be freshman next year to come and look at what Hillcrest has to offer (clubs and classes).”

This year, some of the clubs present included National Honors Society and Key Club, while some of the classes present were Chinese and Theatre. In addition, sports teams such as girls’ basketball and the swim team were in the cafeteria as well.

These 8th graders (incoming freshmen) either planned to go to Hillcrest by permit or were in the boundaries of Hillcrest.

Walters explained, “[Incoming freshmen received] their registration packet and had an assembly at 6pm, with different performances and instruction on the registration process.”

As the registration process can be complicated for newcomers, this assembly was greatly appreciated.

Walters explained the turnout, “We planned on 700 [incoming freshmen] and a little more than half came.”

Walters advised, “I feel that this is something that all incoming freshmen should come to. Besides getting an idea of how to get involved at Hillcrest, it is a good way to be on campus around other students and hopefully getting excited for that next step in their lives.”

High school can help students reach for the future, whether it be college, trade school, or employment.