Filed under Opinion

Maroon 5 Controversy

Maroon 5 Controversy

Spotify

Spotify

Spotify

From the rebellion of NFL football players kneeling during the national anthem, to declining to play during the halftime show during the NFL Super Bowl, the protests have started. Many athletes have started to kneel during the national anthem because to protest against police brutality and racism. The protests began in the NFL after San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat and later knelt during the anthem, before his team’s preseason games of 2016.

Kaepernick tweeted on August 28, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

From this, celebrities like Cardi B and Big Boi declined the offer to play during the halftime show, so Adam Levine, the lead singer from Maroon 5, stepped up and accepted to play during the halftime. He got a lot of hate from other celebrations.

In response, Levine said, “We’d like to move on from it and…speak through the music.”  He seemed to promise that his show would acknowledge the protests against the NFL, which include National Anthem kneelers and Kaepernick’s apparent ban from the league for being the initial leader of the kneeling movement.

When asked later about what is going to happen during the halftime show, he replied with “They will be [heard] — that’s all I want to say because I don’t want to spoil anything. And once again, I like to think that people know where I stand as a human being after two decades doing this…I’m not a public speaker. I do speak, but it’s through the music. My life’s work and what I put out into the universe has been positive and hopefully inspiring … So, what I would say is, you know, we are going to do what we keep on doing, hopefully without becoming politicians and continuing to use the one voice we know how to use properly.”

Overall, Maroon 5 did the right thing, and was able to step over the fact that people need to just let it go. All celebrities and athletes have been looked up to, both white and black. The fact that the black people are rebelling is outrageous. They are getting paid more than any other person in the country. They should stop whining and keep America the way it should be, everyone’s equal.