Filed under Opinion

Ellen Page uses her platform for good

As the world begins to change, and more backwards opinions swarm social media. Ellen Page, a popular actor shares how she really feels about who is running our country, the importance of saving our environment and Hollywood accepting the LGBTQ+ community. Three topics that so many believe those who have a platform, should be talking and caring about.

Stephen Colbert started off the interview by asking her about her wife, the audience expecting him to talk about the fact that they are lesbian. Instead he talks about her height, which brings a light to the interview. He then asks about her involvement with environmental acts. This is when she begins to get fired up.

One of the most important things to do when there are issues that no one seems to talk about is have a strong voice, and Ellen Page has one of the strongest. Especially when talking about how climate change is real and is an issue, as is environmental racism. “This is something that’s happening, and it’s happening to the most marginalized people, and we need to be talking about it,” she says as she looks dead into the audience. She also began to talk about the rise in hate crimes in the past couple years, and how upsetting it is to know that people are being harmed because of close-mindedness and homophobia.

You could hear the power in her voice, through everything she said. And that is one of the reasons this interview immediately went viral. And because of her impact on many of her fans, many including Page can only hope that people will listen. Not only people, but both the president and vice president of the United States who she also called out in the interview.

One of her most important quotes was towards the end of interview, she said “If you are in a position of power, and you hate people, and you want to cause suffering to them, you go through the trouble, you spend your career trying to cause suffering — what do you think is going to happen? Kids are going to be abused, and they’re going to kill themselves. People are going to be beaten on the street.” The crown immediately began to applaud her, as they should.

Not only is she an extremely talented actor of our time, but she is an important voice that needs to not just be heard, but listened to. Know matter how strong and correct the men who are running our country feel, they are contributing to the hate in our society. And that needs to change.