Filed under Opinion

Do your clothes “Spark Joy?”

Do your clothes “Spark Joy?”

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-looks/marie-kondo-cuyana-leather-travel-pouches/

She’s a little woman with a big heart who loves to tidy up. Marie Kondo wrote a book called “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” and now she has a tv show on Netflix called “Tidying up.” She suggests ways to increase organization in the home and to make the home a place to “Spark Joy.” She wants people to spend more time on things that make them happy rather than feeling the anxiety of always needing to clean.

Everyone should try out her method in their house because they can guarantee the house to stay clean for at least a couple weeks. The process isn’t difficult because her method is organizing by category instead of doing it by each room.

She starts by going through your clothes, by putting every single thing onto the bed and then holding one piece of clothing at a time and seeing if it sparks joy. An interesting thing in this method is that when she gets rid of an item, she says thank you to the item. This isn’t just to thank the item, but it’s also to help her move on from experiences she had while wearing the item.

After going through the clothes she then folds them so that they can stand up in the drawers, this way she sees every article of clothing she owns.

I started doing this method with my clothing. I got rid of two bags of clothes and I said thank you to each item. I found that when I said thank you to each item, I was able to give my clothes away easier. I have had the clothes gone for about a week and a half and I don’t think about any of the items. This method is definitely worth doing.

Some clothes can be tucked away and never worn, but when you have a wider selection of things you can wear, you tend to be more open about who you are and your ambitions that you didn’t know you had, become known to yourself. (forbes)