Filed under News

SBO elections are around the corner

Voting is in the air once again here at Hillcrest High School. It’s time to vote for the new Student Body Officers (SBO) for next school year.

Each position in office has very important roles of their own. You all work together for the same goal, unifying the school, and bringing the student body together. To make this happen, each individual must always make sure that they are taking care of their specific responsibilities.

The President’s role is to be completely in control. They make the last call on decisions and help come up with ideas to help the student body and make everyone feel included. They work with the administration and make big plans for future school years along with events for the current school year.

To help the hefty role of SBO President, The Vice President and secretary are those who support. they are his/her backup if they need it. They have the opportunity to work with Keys to Success which is a great resource to receive scholarships. They are also given responsibilities that the SBO adviser sees fit. As for the Secretary they are the center of transcribing the meetings.

The Activities Coordinator is in charge of planning all things social. They call the DJ’s for dances, call food trucks for events, and reserves event areas whether that is in the school or off school property.

Social media is a great way to spread information to students around the school, the Public Relations Officer is in charge of everything social media. They send out reminders of events to the student body via Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook.

The Treasurer is in charge of money. They figure out how they will raise money through the December fundraiser and any other fundraisers that happen through the year. They also work with the office and administrators to decide how to best budget for the year.

Along with those roles, the creative side of SBO is one of importance, the Artist and Audio Visual Officer are responsible for this. The Artist is the leader in all posters, decorations, t-shirt designs, and any other miscellaneous items you choose to design through the year (water bottles, lanyards, stickers, etc.) They help with the senior bench when it needs to be redecorated for upcoming events. As for the Audio Visual Officer, they make videos of events that have happened that the student body can go back and watch. They also are in charge of running the Hillcrest Youtube channel which is where any video made is posted there.

Like the Audio Visual Officer, the Historian goes to events to take pictures and put them on a website (https://hillcrestsbophotos.weebly.com/current-year.html) to share with the school. They are used in the yearbook and are also used in newspaper articles and the school website.

There is a meeting on March 27 where candidates will sign up for a position. After that there are interviews for each position and they eliminate candidates so there are only two per position. Then they have an assembly where students vote for next years SBO’s.

About the Writer