Films Rebooted

Throughout time, the film industry has evolved in such different ways. “What Men Want” is an example of films being rebooted. “What Women Want” was released in 2000, but it did so good that they decided 19 years later to remake it from the perspective of a women.

Reboot, according to Dictionary.com, means “to produce a distinctly new version of (an established media franchise, as a film, TV show, video game, or comic book):” New is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

It is smart because it kind of switches perspectives throughout the film industry. Although this has been going on for centuries, but it’s as if no one notices. The film industry knows how to cover up and wait for the moment. They follow with trends and keep their audiences interested.

Such classic films like Spiderman, Batman, Charlie’s Angels and more than 77 movies have been rebooted. When rebooting films, directors tend to try and not copy the older versions as exact, but they still do keep the plots the same.  An article by Mike Fleming Jr, titled Paramount Players Plots ‘What Men Want’; ‘Empire’s Taraji P. Henson To Star, it summarizes both movies.

The original starred Mel Gibson as a confident chauvinistic male who suddenly acquires the ability to hear what the women around him are really thinking. The new version follows a female sports agent (Henson) who has been constantly boxed out by her male colleagues. When she gains the power to hear men’s thoughts, she is able to shift the paradigm to her advantage as she races to sign the NBA’s next superstar.”

The difference between “What Men Want” and “What Women Want”, is that “What Women Want” highlights the difference between men and women in the workplace and how sexism is very much alive. In “What Men Want”, the main character, Gibson, is seen as a man’s man, and ideal so it shows the standard men are carried to uphold.

This is an old Hollywood trick, but the trend isn’t stopping anytime soon. Especially not with the demand coming from old viewers and new viewers.

Photo: https://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/05/27/movie-reboots-op-ed/

About the Writer