Filed under Sports

One last layup

The varsity boys basketball team had their senior night on February 12, 2019. This year the Huskies said goodbye to five talented players. Max Russell #10, Tyan Brinar #12, Tanner Cluff #23, Devin Adams #33, and Luke Reuschel #35.

Devin, Luke, Tyan, and Max started playing together on a Hillcrest feeder team since the seventh grade. This has allowed them to develop together and learn how to play well together

The team this year has seemed to have a family-like chemistry. This team loves each other and want to help each other improve both on and off of the hardwood. Adams said, “Spending time with some of my closest friends and gaining so many memories,” was one of his favorite parts of being a part of the team.

All five of the seniors are grateful for the opportunity that they had to be on the team. Brinar said, “I’ve learned so much, it’s crazy how much you can grow on and off the court.”

Russell said that the biggest lesson he has learned after playing for the team all four years was, “Life is bigger than the game”

Reuschel said his biggest take away was, “I have learned the patience of not playing yet still needing to be there and for the team and still being a leader emotionally.”

Brinar said that he plans to play basketball at a collegiate level. While the other four have no plans to play in college, but they still want to play with friends on the weekend.

Brinar has offers from Northern Arizona University, North Texas University, Southern Utah University

Russell plans to serve a two year LDS mission after graduating from high school. Russell hasn’t decided what he wants to do for college.

Reuschel who plans to  attend the University of Utah and major in atmospheric science. Reuschel also plans on joining the Navy ROTC. He also want to represent the U on their cornhole team.

While Reuschel plans to enter into the Navy, Adams plans to get into criminal justice. Adams want to attend SUU and hopes to join the CIA.

The boys are so grateful the opportunity they had to play under the new head coach, Sanjin Kolovrat and to play for the previous head coach, Samuel Richins.

Coach Sanjin said, “A great group of guys to have as my seniors for my 1st year as head coach. They all bought in and helped start a great baseline to what I would like Hillcrest Boys Basketball to be for the future,” Sanjin continued, “They worked hard everyday…I will miss the four guys a ton and hope they all come back for many years!”

Although they are all sad that the journey is over, none of them regret the decision of playing in the team. They are all so grateful for the friendships and lessons that they learned. They won’t forget the early morning and the late nights. They crowd cheering them on as they make a lay-up or drain a three.

Thanks you seniors and good luck!