Filed under Showcase, Sports

Choose to include

(Left to Right)
Top: Braydon Ludlow, Jaden Hartman, Tanner Cluff, Josh Wright, Josh Ruff, Kristen Jensen, Andrea Vazquez, Jackson Metzger
Bottom: Cameron McCleary, Jonathan Pascual, Auhia Finau, Ike Campbell

(Left to Right) Top: Braydon Ludlow, Jaden Hartman, Tanner Cluff, Josh Wright, Josh Ruff, Kristen Jensen, Andrea Vazquez, Jackson Metzger Bottom: Cameron McCleary, Jonathan Pascual, Auhia Finau, Ike Campbell

In the 2018-2019 school year, after a successful Special Olympics trip for the Hillcrest unified soccer team, Hillcrest teacher and Unified advisor Shannon Hurst thought of ways she could involve the special needs students more. She went to the Special Olympics Utah website and found that there were more programs available. After looking for a while, she found it: Unified Basketball.

In Utah, there are multiple schools with unified basketball or soccer, but Hillcrest is unique in that they are the first school in Utah to have both. Because of this, Hillcrest will become a Unified Champion school.

“Honestly, it doesn’t differ when we’re talking about the unified concept,” said head coach Ms. Hurst. She continued, “Obviously the sport is different but our philosophy stays the same with making sure we are utilizing our athletes and exemplifying the ‘inclusion’ focus.”

On February 23, the athletes, partners, and coaches all gathered together as they headed to the University of Utah for their first look at other schools and what the competition could look like. They played 3 games and won all three, earning them the gold medal.

“Now we have two [medals],” exclaimed sophomore athlete Jaden Hartman. “We have to play ‘We Are The Champions.’”

The only other team in the Utah valley with a unified basketball team is Bingham High School, so Hillcrest faced off against this team three times en route to their sweep. Bingham had enough athletes and helpers to split into two different teams, so Bingham A, Bingham B, and Hillcrest went about their competition.

“I think it went really well!” Wrote head coach Hurst. “Our ultimate goal was to get each of our athletes to score and to have an enjoyable experience and we met that.”

After all was said and done, Hillcrest came out on top. They swept the competition at the area competition, and have a good idea about what is to come when they go to the state competition on March 15 and 16.

“Let me win, and if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt,” is the special olympics athlete oath, and Hillcrest’s athletes took this to heart. They were brave and did well at their tournament, and are going to keep this in mind as they prepare for their state games coming up.