New year new coach

https://schools.graniteschools.org/cyprushigh/

In the 2019 football season, Hillcrest is welcoming a new football coach, Brock Bryant, who is currently finishing the year as a social studies teacher at Cyprus High School.

Bryant has been coming to Hillcrest every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:00pm to 5:00pm to coach the athletes in strength and conditioning.

“When I heard about the vision that Principal Leavitt and Coach Griffel were trying to implement, I knew it was something I wanted to be a part of,” said coach Bryant. “I was honored to accept this great opportunity.”

His purpose is to apply the four fundamentals of character: commitment, loyalty, honesty, and accountability into every student athlete. “It’s the relationships you develop over time with the people you work with. The students and athletes you mentor. It’s the most rewarding job in the world,” said Bryant.

He says his goal is to “develop personal relationships through time and to create a family culture with the coaches, players, faculty and community of Hillcrest High.”

Bryant has had lots of experience with football in his life. He says, “I started playing football in the Olympus Ute Conference when I was 8 years old. I played youth football for 7 years. I played 3 years at Olympus High school as an offensive and defensive lineman.  I was 1st team all region and honorable mention all state in football. I signed a football scholarship to New Mexico Military my freshman year in college. I decided it wasn’t for me and so I left to serve a 2 year LDS mission.”

This upcoming year is hopeful and with this new coach the students and the community are excited to see what is in store. As Coach Bryant said “If our players truly care about one another and buy-in to the program then success, like wins, will come. Wins aren’t only measured on the scoreboard, but in the classroom, in the weightroom and out in the community. Building Relationships and leadership is the key cornerstone of our program.”