Why you should take AP Art History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night

Hillcrest High School is well known for its performing arts and strong IB program, however, it also offers a wide variety of art classes. Drawing, painting, and ceramics are just a few of the options. Even if you don’t feel like you’re artistically inclined, there is still an art class you can take. AP Art History is a class that not many people know is offered at Hillcrest.

In AP Art History, students in the class go over pieces from different time periods. These pieces include sculptures, paintings, drawings, and photography. Ms. Jeppson, the teacher of this class, will teach you how to analyze art.

Studying art history opens the mind in a way that nothing else can. It is a new way to study history and the influence of art. It is amazing how when you first view a piece of art, it can mean nothing, but after studying the content of it, it can mean so much. Studying this subject will help you appreciate art even if you’ve never studied art before.

This class is different than any other that you will take in high school. It opens a whole new world of study that is not shown in any other class.

Also, if you take this class, there is a trip to San Francisco where the students are able to view actual pieces and pieces by artists that they’ve studied throughout the year. Towards the end of the year there is also a field trip to the Spiral Jetty at the Great Salt Lake.