Provo’s lack of diversity comes as no surprise

Wallethub held a survey of 501 American cities to compare the diversity in each of them. This survey includes measurements such as, religious diversity, cultural diversity, socio-economic backgrounds, economic diversity, and household diversity. According to the Wallethub Study, Provo, UT stood out as the least diverse in all of America, with Orem, UT third to last.

Provo and Orem — where the population overwhelmingly identifies as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — tied for last place in religious diversity,” according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Annie Bunker is a former Hillcrest High School student and is now a student at Utah Valley University. Utah Valley University is located in Orem, UT and is next door universities to BYU. It is also one of the most populated school in Utah.

Bunker says, “This actually really surprises me. Quite a few people attend BYU from all over and end up living in Provo. However, at the same time I can see how this statistic is true because BYU is a Christian religion based school and almost everyone attending BYU is a part of this religion, therefore, there is not a lot of diversity with this religion.”

In other categories, Provo was ranked No. 252 and Orem was ranked No. 98 in socio-economic diversity, which is a mix of people from different income levels, social backgrounds, and in some cases racial ethnic backgrounds.

In cultural diversity, which is a variety of culture or ethnic groups in society, Provo was ranked No. 249 and Orem was ranked No. 258.

Provo was ranked No. 488 and Orem was ranked No. 376 in economic diversity which is a concept that includes the products, workforce skills and capabilities in a local economy.

Household diversity is variations in the family structure, and Provo ranked No. 466 and Orem ranked No. 476.

Olivia Latham, a student at Hillcrest High school is moving to Provo, UT next year for school. She says “All of my life I have gone to schools with a lot of diversity so it will be a big change for me. I really have no idea what to expect.”

The five most diverse cities in all in the U.S. according to the Wallethub study in order are, Houston, Texas; Jersey City, New Jersey; New York, New York; Gaithersburg, Maryland; Dallas, Texas.