Future of team

Soyer Smith

Braydon Ludlow, Reporter

Soyer Smith is a freshman at Hillcrest high. Smith has been playing baseball for ten years. He started playing through the Alta Canyon recreation league.

Smith plays Center field for the JV team. He plans to continue playing baseball throughout college and wants to play for Utah State.

Besides baseball, Smith also likes to play guitar, golf and spending time with his friends. Smith comes from a supportive family with, two older sister and one older brother. Smith said, “They help me so much. Without them I wouldn’t be as talented as I am.”

In the 6th grade, Smith was playing in the Alta Canyon recreation league. “I remember our team was the Washington Nationals. We were in the Championship game,” stated Smith. “We ended up winning the championship game 4-2. I was so excited…we got these big trophies and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.”

Smith loved that feeling of winning and had so much fun that season that he continued playing baseball and doesn’t want to stop.

When asked why he picked center field over other positions he said, “I am a pretty fast runner and I love chasing down pop flys. One of my favorite things in the world is getting a diving catch or running and getting a pop-fly that you thought was way out of reach.”

Smith loves baseball and is excited for his opportunity to better himself and his skills this season with the team.