Sports and Drugs: Do Drugs Really Affect The Students?

Image Credit: Ryan Koon

Image Credit: Ryan Koon

Ryan Koon

Image Credit: Ryan Koon

Ryan Koon

Ryan Koon

Image Credit: Ryan Koon

Everyone on a sports team knows that drugs are one of the quickest ways to get suspended from the team. According to the NIDA, only 12.8 percent of teens use drugs such as marijuana, but there is a new drug on the rise. 

According to the Monitoring The Future survey, 37.3 percent of high school seniors vape. Vaping can cause severe issues in the respiratory system and can damage sports performance. But that isn’t what matters to the team coaches.

“Last year’s Drill Team had a problem with vaping and drugs. It affected the team heavily and caused many girls to not try out again this year. And on top of that, all the drug and alcohol use aroused many types of drama.” said Drill Team member, Katy Simper. 

Not only do drugs affect athletic performance, they may also prevent students from graduating high school. According to Just Think Twice, 1/3 of high school dropouts reported that drugs were a large part of their decision. Also, drug users report having lower GPAs than their nondrug using peers.

To play on a team, there is a GPA requirement according to JJ Orten, a football player on Hillcrest’s Junior Varsity. 

“The average, I think it was about a 1.2 GPA… There were twenty-six ineligible players.” He said

The football team use to already have a problem with their GPAs. Not only was this a concerning issue but, according to Orten, the old coach would allow many of the players to play regardless of their GPAs.

Tasha Mcclam, a parent of a student here at Hillcrest believes there should be worse punishments for drug use on the sports team.

“These kids come to school to learn. Whether it’s in class or on a sports team, they can’t do that as well while using drugs… Drugs also damage their brain cells, I believe if someone is caught with drugs; they should have to be suspended and learn why they shouldn’t use drugs.”