Coffee is better than energy drinks and here’s why

As a teenager, going to school every day can be difficult, especially when spending hours on end involved with school activities, doing homework or studying. This can be tiring, and teenagers are already biologically proven to lack energy and need more sleep. 

So naturally, most of them need to find another way to get energy because let’s face it, almost any high school student can’t get 8-9 hours of sleep every single night. So what do students drink? Either energy drinks or coffee, but one is way healthier, beneficial, and resourceful than the other. 

The saying “everything in moderation” should be taken into account for this article, but as reported by Caffeine Informer, people who drink 3-5 cups of coffee every day are less likely to show beginning signs of heart disease. In the same study, it was proven that coffee doesn’t cause hardening of the arteries, even for those who drink up to an intense amount of 25 cups per day. 

Caffeine Informer tells of other benefits including a lowered risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, suicide risk, and depression. Another study conducted by Harvard proved that those who drink 1-5 cups every day avoid diseases linked to premature death.

IB student Sydney Hurst said this when asked which drink is better, “Coffee because first off the taste is way better. Energy drinks taste like you are drinking a battery. Second, the amount of caffeine in an energy drink is not healthy for consumption.”

So what are the health benefits of energy drinks? Or are there even any?

Hardly. The Atlanta Journal reported that even just consuming one energy drink harms blood vessels. This is because energy drinks contain so much sugar, and when that’s combined with caffeine, it’s responsible for such negative effects.

Caffeine Informer also reported on 15+ dangers of energy drinks. Some of those include increased anxiety, high blood pressure, drug interactions, cardiac arrest, etc. Cardiac arrest has been one of the most controversial effects of these drinks, which has taken the lives of children and teenagers. 

So at the end of the day what are you going to trust? Chemicals put together in a factory with all kinds of added sugars, or ground up beans from the earth?