The hell called homework

The hell called homework

From kindergarten to college, we all have homework. It has become a norm in society for a student to have some form of homework, and the teachers keep on telling us that it acts as a way for us to “take initiative in our learning.” But is it really as important or good as they say?

High schoolers often have classes that are an hour and forty minutes long, and four classes a day, that adds up to four hundred minutes of schooling a day. When students first arrive at a class, they usually have 5-10 minutes to hangout and talk to friends. Then they use the next half an hour to go over homework and correct it. The last hour is used to teach students a new element of that class that they take home for homework. That seems like a lot of time to learn something, but to a lot of students it isn’t enough time.

Recent studies have shown that 87% of students who come home with extra work experience cases of sleep deprivation, according to a study in 2006 led by the National Sleep Foundation. This can lead to an earlier mortality, and unhealthy levels of stress. The study also showed that teenagers should get at least nine hours of sleep, and only 9% of high schoolers follow the recommendations, and 20% are getting less than five hours of sleep. 

Homework can stress teenagers at home when they should be using that time to take a break from thinking of school. However, with the overbearing thought of school, teenagers don’t gain the amount of freedom and creativity that they should endure. This can lead to children becoming machines programmed to memorize and recite, getting lazy with homework, and eventually drop out of school.

Heavy loads of homework can cause lack of sleep for older children, this can lead to them being exhausted at school the next day. This only impedes their ability to learn, and they can’t regain the lost hours of sleep because they have even more homework the next day!

Homework can also interfere with extracurricular activities students participate in. This makes it so students can’t take as much time to follow their dreams, yet they have all the time in the world to answer questions that they might never see again. I mean seriously, besides a farmer, who is going to have four hundred watermelons?

Homework is seen as something that should have a positive effect on your child’s learning, and maybe it does, but what about their emotional and physical abilities? What if they come home and sleep the rest of the day because they’ve had to pull two all-nighters? What if your child ends up dropping out of highschool because they can’t get their homework done? What will the cause be? The answer is here ladies and gentlemen: homework is not as beneficial as schools make it out to be.