HHS students and their impact on climate change

Here at Hillcrest, there are so many students that care deeply about climate change, who want to live out their lives without worrying about the death of mother earth. They are known as the Fridays for Future Salt Lake City. They meet every other Friday, from 10 to 2,  at the salt lake capital, posters, and opinions in hand ready to fight for our air, and our future. 

This Hillcrest climate movement began from the original Fridays for Future, which is an Environmental Conservation Organization. It started in 2019, with the very first global youth strike for climate. 

This group of students’ main inspiration is Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old, Swedish climate and environmental activist.  “We are in the middle of a climate breakdown, and all they can talk about is money fairy tales of eternal economic growth,” Thunberg stated during a speech she presented during the UN Climate Action Summit.

What attracted our Hillcrest students about Greta the most was how honest and powerful she was, but being the same age as them. Something Greta commonly discusses is how her childhood is being taken away, and how she should not have to fight for the Earth she stands on.  

Another message that this group and Greta Thunberg want to get out is that young people have led the climate strike, but adults need to join them too. There have been over 4,000 rallies and marches across the US, always filled with children and young adults.  So far, it is seen that the young people of this world are capable of saving the world, but unfortunately, that’s not how the world works. 

“Once again our voices are being heard on the streets, but it is not just up to us. We feel a lot of adults haven’t quite understood that we young people won’t hold off the climate crisis ourselves. Sorry if this is inconvenient for you. But this is not a single-generation job. It’s humanity’s job. “ Thunberg explains. 

This group in Salt Lake City is powerful and important, but they need more voices to join them. Every other Friday, 10 to 2 at the Utah state capitol. Help save our Earth.