Shakespeare in the spring

Picture Credit: Hillcrest Theatre

Picture Credit: Hillcrest Theatre

Every year, students spend weeks and months of their time preparing for the spring play. 

From Dunsinane to Akhanaton, they are always something to look forward to. 

This year, students will be performing a new adaptation of Shakespeare’s tragedy of Richard ll.  While they will be using pieces of the original script, the play will not take place in any particular time period. It also tells the story from the perspective of King Richard as he relives events from his life while he is in captivity. This version begins at the end of Shakespeare’s play and is told through a series of flashbacks.

According to Elizabeth Martin, a Junior who plays Bagot, “Richard ll is about the deposing of a less-than-upright man, but in the chiasmus of the play, the audience questions which king actually has the higher moral ground.”

Far from being a boring historical drama, Hillcrest’s rendition promises to be exciting and engaging all the way through. There are even a couple of fight scenes. Even more than that, though, is the chance to see fellow students communicate an important message in a cool way.

Yes, it is a Shakespeare play, but that shouldn’t frighten anyone away. Tickets went on sale March 2, at 7:00 a.m. on https://www.hillcresttheatre.com/ and the show runs from March 19-21.

Martin says, “We don’t perform Shakespeare like students reading ‘Romeo and Juliet’ in a ninth-grade English class. Nah sir, this is how Shakespeare truly meant the text to live and breathe and change lives. It’s beautiful.”