Hillcrest helps with FAFSA

https://acpe.alaska.gov/PLANNING/Training-Details/ArticleID/63/FAFSA-Season-is-Upon-Us

For students who are worried that they won’t be able to get the opportunity to attend college because of the tuition, there are always other options other than scholarships. 

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Aid) is a great option for being able to apply for a grant to support your college tuition. FAFSA is a form completed by students in the U.S. to determine how eligible they are for financial aid. 

You can fill out a form at studentaid.gov, and this form calculates your expected family contribution and then determines how much financial aid you will need to attend college. 

For the year 2019-2020, there is a deadline to fill out a FAFSA application to see if you qualify for student aid. The deadline is on June 30, 2020, and will not be open if you dont submit a form by then. If you are late at submitting a form you can wait for next year. You will always have another opportunity to submit a form, so there’s no need to worry. 

Hillcrest High School, like many other high schools, was determined to prepare their students for college and graduation, because of this Hillcrest hosted a FAFSA completion night on Februray 25 from 3:00pm-7:00pm, in order to help students fill out FAFSA applications. Staff was there in case any students needed help or had questions. 

“The application may seem kind of scary and stressfull because of all the questions it asks you but in the long run it really is worth it, it helped me save more than enough to start college,” said Ricardo Estrada, a Hillcrest Alumni and an applicant for FAFSA. 

“FAFSA is such a helpful resource especially if you are part of a first generation family. It has honestly saved my mom the stress of ever having to pay for my college tuition and it honestly keeps me more motivated in the long run because at the end of the day, I have been given the opportunity to have the chance to go to college and in California, it is more expensive than Utah, so I dont really have the money to be failing classes,” said Leslie Becerra, an Alumni from Tustin High school. 

Hillcrest’s administration is always trying to keep seniors in track and the school counselors are always a helpful resource if you have any questions for college or your future plans. Set up an appointment with your counselor if you have any questions. Counselors will not bite so do not be affraid to talk to them about your worries.