Bring back spring sports?

Photo+from+deseret.com+

deseret.com

Photo from deseret.com

Tanner Peterson, Sports Editor

After many school districts across the nation announced the closing of schools for the rest of the year, the Utah High School Activities Association or UHSAA quickly cancelled the spring season for all sports. 

The cancellation affects nine sports including baseball, softball, lacrosse, boys soccer, and track and field. Many school districts across the nation have also cancelled their spring sports seasons. 

While this seemed like a natural next step for them, it was a huge disappointment for the athletes who won’t have a chance to take the field again this season. Some believed that it was even premature, and have started to petition to undo it.

One petition from change.org stated the purpose of their petition is to get the government to, “work with all of us on a way to safety allow our kids, especially the seniors, to get in some of their lost season in either a delayed season or a summer league or tournament.”

The seniors took the news harder than others due to the fact that it likely will end their careers in their sport. Some will be going on to play in college, but most will not have that opportunity.

Mason Anger, senior soccer player for Hillcrest said, “I’d love to play again but there’s a point where we need to move on and enjoy where we are now. For me, I loved playing every second I was out there and I’d be fine if I’ve played my last game.”

While the world has not gone back to ‘normal’ yet, there are signs that they will start returning there in the near future. That light at the end of the tunnel is what many people are looking forward to, especially those athletes and coaches.