A new home theatre

hillcresttheatre.com

hillcresttheatre.com

Social distancing rules have made it hard, if not impossible, for many extracurricular groups to continue doing what they love. However Hillcrest’s own theatre department has found a way to continue sharing their talents, despite many challenges.

Rehearsals for school plays and musicals begin months in advance. The students work very hard to make sure their finished product is as perfect as possible.

Opening night for Richard ll was only a week after schools shut down, and their state competition was scheduled to take place just days before everything was closed. This made it all the more sad when they had to stop.

“The learning and the real joy comes in the process of getting these scenes up on their feet. I love the feeling of the small successes along the way and the intimate connections you make with those you work with,” said junior Max Abbot. “The cancelation of region and state was disappointing but I’m just glad we got the chance to create these pieces of art.”

However, thanks to the power of technology, the show will go on. Students have been able to film their scenes, lines, and monologues from their living rooms and the performances have been streamed online.

“It’s often said that the last ingredient for a great piece of theatre is the audience,” said Abbot. “Performing from our living rooms is very draining, but we love it anyway.”

The students competition pieces, a one act play called “Violence & Son,” and production company’s spring musical ”A Chorus Line- High School Edition,” will all be streamed online, compiled from videos of the cast.

Richard ll will be performed and streamed as soon as they have access to the auditorium. Visit hillcresttheate.com for more information.