Vaccinations available in CSD Schools

Coronavirus vaccine flasks

COVID-19 vaccines are now available to teens 16+. The Canyons School District has teamed up with the Salt Lake County Health Department to start giving doses of the vaccine too high school students who are of age.

The only vaccine that is available for 16 and 17-year-olds is Pfizer.

Parents and guardians received an email to gauge interest in getting their students vaccinated. If they responded “yes” to the email they were sent instructions to register for the clinics.

Registration for the clinics can be done online, by telephone, or with hard-copy forms. Forms can be picked up in front offices of schools for the families who need copies.

All forms must be turned in before the date of the clinics. The hard copies are to be turned in to the school before the student will receive the vaccine.

Parents are able to be present while their student is being vaccinated, but the clinic staff will not be able to vaccinate parents at the school clinic.

Students are advised to eat and drink before receiving the vaccine because it will help reduce the risk of symptoms.

If you by chance missed your opportunity to get the vaccine this last week at your school, you have one last chance to register.

The District’s final first-dose clinic for age-eligible students will be 8-10:30 a.m. on Friday, April 30 at Jordan High, 95 Beetdigger Blvd.

Hillcrest High School had their first dose on Tuesday, April 27, 2021. Many students were able to get their first dose on this date.

Taylor McCleary, a Junior at Hillcrest High, was able to get her first dose on Tuesday.

She says “My experience of getting the COVID-19 vaccine at school was very good. It was a fast process. I walked in, reviewed my information, and then I received the shot. After they gave it to me I waited there for 15 minutes to make sure I reacted well to it.”

The number of students who got the vaccine from Hillcrest High School alone was around 250.

The experience of the vaccine from the schools sounds very similar to how it is anywhere else. You have to wait 15 minutes after you receive the vaccine and then after if you don’t show any symptoms the only thing that you will notice is your arm being sore for about a day.