The Next Chapter

Left to right: Gavin Hawley, Zac Erickson, Anthony Vail

On Thursday, April 22, Anthony Vail, Zac Erickson, and Gavin Hawley signed to Pacific Lutheran University of Tacoma, WA to further their football careers after graduation. Not all high school athletes have the talent or the drive to continue their sports careers in college, but boy do these three men have everything and more than what it takes to go to the next level.

From a young age, these guys fell in love with the game of football.

“I knew I wanted to play after high school ever since I started football,” Hawley said.

Hawley started out as husky with his little league team at 8 years old. Vail started out at Juan Diego when he was just 6 years old. Little league was all the rage on Saturday mornings for them growing up. They would go to practices during the week and show up Saturday and put everything they had on the field. They were excited to become big huskies once high school came around.

For Zac, becoming a husky freshman year was his first time playing football. He threw the ball around with some friends when he was younger, but never on a team. High school was the beginning for him, but definitely not the end.

“The biggest impact on my football career would definitely be my family…(they) have supported me through it all and I could never repay them for what they have done for me. As for my teammates, they are what kept me going. Football ain’t easy,” Erickson continues with a quote from the HHS head football coach, “If it was easy everyone would be doing it” – Coach Bryant.

There have been so many people in their lives that have encouraged them to push forward and make something of themselves. There have also been doubters and haters that have tried to bring them down, but their passion burns brighter than any hate that could be thrown their way. These men cannot wait to continue to live by their motto, “PROVE EM WRONG”.

Vail would like to thank Hillcrest by saying, “I want to thank all my teachers and the athletic department for everything they have done for us. I also want to thank all my doubters praying on my downfall.” He encourages all current huskies, “The road doesn’t end here. All my husky athletes stand up for what you work for. It doesn’t come easy.”

Although each of these athletes had received many offers to many amazing schools all around the country, continuing their careers at PLU was an easy decision once all three boys had received their offers to play together. I mean who wouldn’t want to go to college and move out of state with their best friends?

Besides going to play with each other, they are all excited to go to PLU to learn from such a great school with incredible teachers. The coaches are amazing people and have made a great impression on these men already. Vail, Erickson, and Hawley are ecstatic.

HHS is fortunate enough to call these huskies some of their greatest future alumni. These men will be going far in life. Their futures are looking bright.

Try not to forget us huskies when you guys become famous.