“Encanto”: A Tale of Magic

Isabella Goates, Pawprint Staff Reporter

“Encanto” is one of the most anticipated Disney movies coming out this year. It follows Mirabel Madrigal, one of the many Madrigals in a place called Encanto nestled into the mountains of Colombia. Mirabel’s relatives have all been blessed by the Encanto with extraordinary powers, except her. When the Encanto’s magic turns out to be in danger, Mirabel might be the only one to save it.

“Encanto” has collected many Latinx actors and songwriters, like Lin-Manuel Miranda, the Puerto Rican songwriter, actor, singer, rapper and producer, known for “Hamilton,” “In the Heights,” “Vivo” and “Moana.” He is working with Germaine Franco to compose the songs for “Encanto.” In addition, other actors like Stephanie Beatriz, Diane Guerrero, Wilmer Valderrama, Carolina Gaitan, Maria Cecilia Botero, and so many more have been recruited to be the voice actors for the characters in “Encanto.”

The difference between “Encanto” and other Disney movies is the genre of magical realism. It is set in Colombia but still vibrant with magic-unlike others like “Frozen” or “Tangled.” A combination of Colombian culture and the magic of any Disney movie makes it a hybrid of sorts.

“It’s new,” Ellee Ridge, a freshman at Hillcrest, stated. “It’s exciting.”

The animation for “Encanto,” CGI, is relatively new to Disney. Unlike older movies, such as “Princess and the Frog,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Fox and the Hound,” etc. The CGI rendering system uses computers to create images for new movies, such as the ones coming out now, including “Encanto.”

“It’s way better than the YouTube [animations] made,” Brad Salle, another freshman at Hillcrest, included.

Disney promises to make sure that the Colombian setting of “Encanto” is accurate. The producers have done an extensive research to arrive at that accuracy. Disney has shown a lot of the same storyline throughout history: Princesses and their happy endings with their princes-white, blonde, and European.

“We need more of other countries,” Ridge insisted.

“More diversity,” Stephanie Ruiz Nunez, a freshman, agreed.

On Nov. 24, 2021, “Encanto” will be ready for the world to see at local cinemas. The Disney movie promises to be culturally accurate and to be full of extravagant and new magic.