Let the Money Snow

Stone Smith, Pawprint Staff Reporter

This year’s Winter Fundraiser is for a charity known as RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). RAINN is an anti-sexual violence organization that has helped 3.7 million people in 27 years. This group operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has partnered with many sexual assault service providers. In addition, this group carries out and promotes other programs that prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and makes sure that offenders are brought down. The event started on November 30th and will continue throughout December.

During the event, according to one of the SBO’s “…people can participate in events such as tug-of-war, dodgeball, student versus faculty basketball game and other things.” When asked why students should go, the SBO stated that “It’s fun to go. People can participate in the games by paying and causing changes to the game.” 

Another SBO said that it’s to help a good cause and stop sexual violence. The school collects money, primarily physical money such as dollar bills and coins, but people could scan QR codes and send money via that. But to get the money, the school has to make the event entertaining by allowing students to pay for different things, such as, during the basketball game, students could pay the school to kick out some of the players.

During the opening assembly, Hillcrest managed to donate 3,000 dollars. “The event used to last all day because the students would pay to keep the event going, but now they changed it to a 2-hour assembly,” according to a 9th grade ELA teacher, Ms. Romney. However, the event still managed to get what they wanted and still entertain some of the students. 

The charity will be going on throughout December, and the school’s goal is to get at least $250,000.  So if an event is going on, make sure to pay an SBO or faculty before playing.