NHS Blanket Making

Sienna Yang, Pawprint Staff Reporter

On Dec. 8, NHS officers Leslie Andrade and Kenna Seegmiller organized and hosted an event after school in the hosting room: making blankets for Lifting Hands International, a nonprofit organization focused on helping and resettling refugees. 

“We wanted to do the blanket drive because we wanted to do a service project that would impact the community during winter, especially during the cold winters of Utah,” Andrade said. The winter months can get well below freezing, something that no one wants to bear in just a few thin layers. 

“We did a drive earlier that didn’t really go that well,” Seegmiller mentioned. The drive mentioned was one encouraging students to donate warm clothes, like jackets, hoodies, and sweatshirts, as well as various hygiene products. Unfortunately, the turnout wasn’t what was expected.

“We actually got a decent haul from it, but it wasn’t as big as it could’ve been, and they didn’t give that many blankets, and [the refugees] were really looking forward to it,” Andrade explained. “So we decided to do a separate blanket drive, to give them a lot of blankets.” She explains that blankets are versatile and can be used for many different purposes. They’re also generally more brightly colored and more entertaining for smaller children.

With the influx of refugees from Afghanistan, service projects like blanket making and drives like the clothing drive and a food drive from earlier in the year can help ease the workload of foundations like Lifting Hands International and give back to the community at the same time.

The blanket-making event turned over an estimated 50 to 60 blankets, with Andrade and Seegmiller satisfied and enthused with the results.

Another service project NHS officers are organizing soon is the Cake Walk, to raise additional money for the Winter Fundraiser to be donated to RAINN, or the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network. Students can pay a five-dollar fee to play a game similar to musical chairs for the possibility of winning a cake from various bakeries and grocery stores. 

However, participating in these school-hosted fundraisers and events is not the only way to support the community. “Any NHS member can do their own- well, anyone really can do their own service project,” Andrade encouraged. “They can always come to us officers or our coordinator Ms. Veenstra, and ask questions or ask for help to organize their own service project.”