The Problem With Assembly Schedules

Cameron Clark, Pawprint Staff Reporter

The first assembly that the class of 2022 participated in was memorable for most. It was a Freshman Orientation assembly, and they made them sing “Baby Shark.” It was funny at first, but then it kept going, and the freshmen all grew sick and tired of it. The weirdest part of that day wasn’t singing an annoying children’s song, but it was the schedule. 

That assembly was held during APP, and it was for freshmen, so it didn’t affect the school schedule as much. However, that brings up the first problem.

App assemblies run too long and take away time from the second or sixth period. While many students would love missing class to do something fun, like assemblies or field trips, it also means that there is makeup work to be done. In addition, when assemblies go longer than they were supposed to, students would fall behind in that next class because teachers would have to scramble to get everything taught in the shortened class period.

For this, a suggestion would be extending the App period when assemblies are done during that time. There are very few times when an App assembly didn’t go long, so if they are going to have them, extend the time, and if they end with a little time left over, then the second or sixth period classes get a little extra time to work on homework.

The next problem with assemblies is when they are at the end of the day. The problem doesn’t lie with the assemblies at the end of the day, but the schedule surrounding that. Usually, the assembly schedule runs first/fifth period, second/sixth period, third/seventh period, fourth/eighth period, then a combined lunch with everyone, and then the assembly to finish the day.

The tricky thing about this schedule is that they try and combine lunches. In a high school where probably 1,000 kids or more are eating lunch from the school cafeteria every day, that puts a lot of stress on the cafeteria workers to have everything ready on time. 

The next problem with the lunches is the lines. If someone’s class is on the other side of the school from the cafeteria, the lines are already rough, so when that student finally gets to where they are being served their food, there are only a few options left, or they are out of that option altogether.

Also, with lunches, trying to find a seat is hard. The usual spot where kids and their friends sit is taken by the people who sit there during the other lunch, and there are now hundreds of other kids trying to find an open seat.

The best thing to do moving forward is to have both lunches. Even if they want to shorten the lunches a little bit so two lunches can fit in the schedule, it may be necessary to ensure that everyone has a pleasant lunch experience.

The final problem with assembly schedules is what is happening this year when assemblies are at the end of the day—putting the fourth period after the extended lunch and before the assembly. Most kids will end up skipping their fourth period because it’s a long lunch, and they don’t care about the assembly, so they will go home or hang out with friends. A suggestion could be to put fourth period before lunch so kids will go.

There isn’t a great way to fix that last problem other than to keep having assemblies in the gym. It’s inconvenient, but it might be the only way to fit everyone.