Governor Cox Doesn’t Approve of School Vouchers

Jacob Baird

The Utah House Revenue and Taxation Committee passed a bill that would direct funds from public schools to private ones. This bill is controversial for multiple reasons, including that families that make more will benefit notably more from this bill and that Utah schools are already severely underfunded. Governor Spencer Cox has said that he will veto it if the bill makes it to his desk.

“You can’t take money that could go to our schools and allow it to go to private schools when you’re not fully funding the education system in our state,” Cox said, adding that “When teachers are making $60,000 a year to start, I will fully support vouchers. I’m all in on vouchers, but we have a long way to go before we get there. I want to get there.”

Hillcrest students have a variety of opinions on the subject, but all seemed to disagree somewhat with the presented bill.

“Well, I think if a student is eligible to go to a private school, but they or their family cannot afford it, then they can take tax money with them. But the private school only gets the money as a tuition fee, and the money comes from the state out of the budget of the school that the student would normally go to. Thus, the public school only loses funding for the student that doesn’t go there, and the private school doesn’t get extra money,” says Hillcrest junior Sam Martin.

“They are called private schools for a reason,” Hillcrest junior Morgan Webster says succinctly, making the point that government funds shouldn’t go to a private institution.

“Public schools are probably the best thing the government does with our taxes, so I’d be kinda pissed if they didn’t do that,” Hillcrest senior Juno Crison added.