Should P.E. exist?

Stone Smith, Pawprint Staff Reporter

Almost everyone has taken a P.E. class in their lifetime. According to Skillastics.com, it became mandatory in many states during the early 1900s. P.E. started as a class during ancient Greece (386 B.C.) by Plato.

The question is; Should P.E. exist? 

The answer to this question is no, but some people believe that students can’t get an opportunity to change the law, especially if that law is 122 years old and is about taking a physical education class. 

People know that P.E. classes are meant to teach students about preventing injury while exercising or getting into a healthy diet and workout routine, but why should schools force children to do any of that? Maybe the teachers want to get kids healthy and strong so they, the students, can go off and work at a place like a lumberyard or something, but why should they go through the exercise and healthy eating habits to only work with a forklift?

With the world’s technology right now, P.E. is probably the most worthless class a student can take. Not many jobs require people to run a mile in a certain amount of time or do a certain amount of pull-ups. Nowadays, jobs mainly require that people have a certain degree or experience with what they are doing, like building software. Believe it or not, building software doesn’t require a person to perform a mile-long run within 30 minutes. Instead, it requires the person to build the software within a certain time frame and make the software do what it’s supposed to do.

The world has very little use for classes such as P.E. for the activities and jobs that people do today, so why don’t schools remove P.E. as a mandatory class and replace it with a class that relates to the jobs done today, like programming?