Huddling Together on Dropouts

Huddling Together on Dropouts

Husky Huddle is the new way of keeping kids on track. Every week on Friday, kids that are given trackers meet with counselors and evaluate their progress. Trackers must be signed by each teacher each period marking things such as, “prepared”, “engaged”, or “tardy” all depending on the kind of tracker you have. Completed ones get entered into a raffle for prizes such as husky gear and gift cards.

“ Ideally you would have no one in the group if we have done our job completely,” said counselor Mr. Oliver. The counselors have set up specific goals for the students. When students fulfil their goals they get raffle tickets and could move into a higher group.

Every Friday kids are given donuts for showing up also, students are put into different categories of colors depending on where they stand with the thin line of dropping out or graduating. Kids that are put into the red group are the ones more in danger while yellow is little less danger or dropping out and green is the kids who are almost making it.

“When we look at kids it’s that one specific kid we are looking at, not comparing them to anyone else and what they need to do and how they can do it to fit them,” Mr. Oliver said

Husky Huddle is counselors and students way of actively seeing that they are making improvement in their goals and to be rewarded for this improvement. The main priority is getting students motivated to be in classes, on time, prepared and engaged in their learning.