Filed under News, Showcase

Some Changes in Your Change

American currency is facing changes.

Over the last couple of years, while most have been fighting to get “In God We Trust” off the face of American currency, Congress has instead busied itself with taking Alexander Hamilton off and replacing him with a woman.

The only other times women have been on currency is Helen Keller featured on the reverse side of the Alabama quarter, Sacagawea on the dollar coin and Susan B. Anthony on the dollar coin.

Currently, there are four nominations for which woman should be put on the bill: Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Though, at first there was a wide group of twelve women that fit the requirements.

Some supporters of Hamilton staying on the ten dollar bill say that the treasury should be taken off the back and all twelve women could be featured on the backside leaving Hamilton on the front. Other opinions state that Hamilton and a woman should be on the bill or the bill shouldn’t be changed at all.

A group named Women on 20s has said before that Andrew Jackson should be replaced off the 20 dollar bill while Hamilton stays. This would lead to problems though since the 20 is the most circulated bill making it harder to replace than the 10.

The release of the new bill is held back till 2020 due to the complexity of its anti-counterfeiting features and the inclusion of a raised tactile feature to those who are visually impaired.

The release date being in 2030, however, is no coincidence being that it is just in time for the centennial celebration of the 19th amendment, the amendment that enabled women the right to vote.

As of April 20, 2016, Women on 20s has finally been heard and with 600,000 people petitioning to change the bill to $20, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew is expected to announce Andrew Jackson’s removal from the $20. This sudden change in bills is theorized to be due to Alexander Hamilton’s popularity growing with the new Broadway musical. Replacing Andrew Jackson will be Harriet Tubman.

In a letter Women on 20s wrote, “[R]elegating women to the back of the bill is akin to sending them to the back of the bus. The Rosa Parks analogies are inevitable.”

About the Writer
Rabecca Monroe, Editor-In-Chief

2016-2017 Copy Editor

2015-2016 Reporter