Filed under News

Tyler Robinson foundation: Don’t wait to donate

trf.org
trf.org

trf.org

trf.org

December is a time for snow, hot chocolate, and a lot of stress. Most importantly, December is when the Hillcrest community participates in the annual fundraiser. During the Spontaneous assembly on November 28, the SBO’s announced that Hillcrest will be working with The Tyler Robinson Foundation (TRF).

This Hillcrest tradition represents the importance of helping others through donations and awareness. The TRF, an organization located here in Utah, helps families of children with pediatric cancer.

“Choosing this organization was a good idea,” senior Rebecca Pettigrew said. “It raises awareness for the foundation…[the school] could execute it a little differently to involve the students a lot more…with bigger events that promote even more awareness.”

According to TRF website, they help families “financially and emotionally” through monetary grants, information, and volunteers. The organization is aware of unseen costs and impacts of cancer treatment and they want to help as many families as possible.

The main website also states that TRF was created to honor Tyler Robinson, a courageous teen, who at the age of 16 was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He had an unmatched resilience to enjoy life and music, both of which are the foundations of the organizations.

“When my grandfather got sick, I knew how hard it was on my family financially and emotionally,” Pettigrew continued. “[This organization] is a smart idea because there is a lot of research for cancer already, and more can be done for the actual families.”

As for Hillcrest students and faculty, there are plenty of ways to donate to TRF during December. SBO’s will be collecting donations during 1st period. Students, faculty, and parents can also donate straight from the Hillcrest website.

There will also be many activities throughout the month, will all proceeds going to the foundation. December 21 will be the last day to donate during school. Be sure to check the Hillcrest calendar for more information on all of the December events.  

Students are encouraged to donate the amount that they can toward TRF. All the earnings go toward a noble cause of fighting pediatric cancer. To learn more about the organization and Tyler’s story go to http://www.trf.org/about/ . Don’t hesitate, and donate.