Filed under Features

Earth to students!

Picture this: a beautiful day outside, with your favorite kind of flower or animal outside, everything’s content. This is what Earth Day, April 22nd, is all about. It’s “an annual event created to celebrate the planet’s environment and raise public awareness about pollution,” according to Livescience.com. It is marked annually on April 22nd, and is a day to do outdoor activities and service projects.

Earthday.org claims, “the idea for a national day to focus on the environment came to Earth Day founder Gaylord Nelson…after witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California.” This day is to stop such harmful actions from happening.

Oil spills is only one thing that one may see. They can also see the toxic fumes going into our environment or the plastic rings that get caught around animal’s necks, endangering their lives.

The very first Earth Day was in 1970, where thousands Americans went to protest pollution and harmful actions. It actually achieved a rare political alignment, where both Republicans and Democrats both agreed. As this first day was a success, in 1990, Earth Day went global, according to Earthday.org.

A student at Hillcrest High, John Bowden, explained his thoughts of how we could be helping our Earth, “I think that we could plant more trees.” This would cause improvement in our global status as a whole.

“We haven’t been treating our world with the amount of respect we should,” Bowden remarked.

Earth is in danger of many things, including animals dying out. Earth Day is about making a difference in the world, making it a little nicer little by little. It’s a day to care for the Earth and it’s health instead of grasping a hold of ours.