Filed under Features

Hillcrest DECA makes it to nationals

Recently, Hillcrest High School’s DECA has made it to nationals in Anaheim, California on April 25-30. DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) is an international association of high school students and teachers of marketing, management, and entrepreneurship. It is based in business, finance, hospitality, and marketing sales and service. The organization prepares leaders and entrepreneurs in business areas.

Junior Sophia Khalaji, a member of Hillcrest DECA, said the trip to nationals was a great learning experience if one is interested in business.

“My favorite part about joining DECA was how my speaking improved. I can memorize and speak quickly now, which mostly comes from the adrenaline,” said Sophia. “One of the highlights of the trip was meeting new people from around the world and being able to trade ideas with people from different states.”

Suraj Ramkumar, a junior at Hillcrest High, is the president of all Utah DECA. He and his partner, Rylee Brown, made finals for their event. They were chosen as the top 18 out of 300 in their event, which is travel and tourism team decision making.

“I get to help plan state conferences, fall leadership conferences, and represent state delegations at nationals,” said Ramkumar ‘Riley and I made top ten in our event, we haven’t had finals for two or three years so it is a pretty big deal. Our DECA chapter is the second best in the state and we plan on going number 1 next year We are looking for more people to join something great at Hillcrest next year!”

Seniors Parker Uber and Jared Liddiard went to ICDC, the International Career Development Conference, and competed in buying and merchandising event where they give a problem to a team and they assess what would be the best solution to the problem.

“We had to figure out how to market water bottles to children and then we took a marketing test,” said Parker. “I definitely would recommend joining DECA, I believe they are going to Orlando next year. If you are interested, then look into joining DECA next school year.

HHS DECA meets up once or twice a month in C-209 and discuss upcoming competitions.