Filed under Features

RaNae Dalgleish: Music Maniac

RaNae Dalgleish, orchestra and choir teacher at Hillcrest High School, has lived a life full of music. There hasn’t been a day since she was four that she hasn’t wanted to play her violin or sing. She has made her whole life revolve around music, and it has all been worth it.

RaNae was born in Salt Lake City and has lived here her whole life. With that, she has traveled to many places around the world, including Japan and Ireland performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as an alto.

When RaNae was young, her father worked in a violin shop making violins and selling them. Unfortunately, he passed away when RaNae was four years old. Her mother happened to retrieve the last violin he made, and as soon as RaNae saw it, all she wanted to do was play. “I had no other thing that I ever wanted to do than play the violin.” She played the violin all the way through high school and into college. She decided to sell the violin and get a new one that would last her through the rest of her schooling.

When people think of the violin, generally they think of classical music as the genre. “I love classical music” she said. “Beautiful classical choral music and orchestra music.” RaNae also has a love for classic rock from artists such as Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.

She has been married for 30 years and has had 5 children with the oldest at 30 and the youngest at 17. “I’ve been teaching at Hillcrest for 10 years but all of my kids came here. My son came here in 1999,” which means she’s been involved with the school for 18 years. “I’ve been teaching public school for 19 years and I did private violin instruction for 15 plus years. I loved music and I was inspired by my music teachers to teach.”

RaNae’s favorite thing about music is “The connection that it makes with people, and through music hearts are softened, and you can kind of escape your worries.” When RaNae conducts, she has such passion and love for every note and every student. Because of her positive attitude, she has the ability to make the music wonderful. She engages every student in the music and they perform great.

“I like to watch the growth in the singers when they come in as freshman and they grow and blossom and turn into beautiful singers with confidence. Even though the beginning classes are harder to teach I see them as they will become and not as they are.” For most teachers that’s very hard to do because it takes a lot of patience.
“And orchestra… I love teaching chamber orchestra because I can get the sensitivity and musicianship out of them that I can’t in string orchestra.”

Chamber Orchestra is a class you must audition for, where string orchestra is a class for beginners. “The beginning orchestra students don’t grasp the concept of how to put passion in their playing yet. Some of them are starting to, but I think that’s why I love teaching chamber is I feel like they can finally put passion and feeling and not just play to play. I can get a maturity from them, and I really have that with chamber orchestra.”

RaNae loves music and loves her students. The students are one of the biggest parts of her life. She is planning on teaching here at Hillcrest next year, continuing to teach choir and orchestra. She has done so much for the Music Department and has changed so many people. Her students thank her for that.