Filed under Opinion

Testing, Testing, 1 2 3

It’s that time of year again where tests are rolling at you like bulldozers. One of the most daunting of these tests doesn’t even affect your grade! It’s called the SAGE test, which stands for Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence.

While the state may be finally ridding itself of this horrible, daunting test and replacing it with another test, there are still complaints about this assessment.

These tests are completely unnecessary and just are a waste of students’ energy. While many may say that teachers need to be somehow analyzed, the tests are not the way to do it. During school, some students notice that the faculty and staff are taking notes on a teacher’s methods of teaching, which is actually much better than just having all these students taking tests. As a matter of fact, student performance on a test should not be an indicator of teacher ability.

District employees could easily go to the school and watch the students on their own. They could take notes on the methods and ways that teachers use to have students work with them, and also it would keep the students out of it at all costs.

The SAGE test is completely unneeded because all it does is add on to anxiety of the end-of-year tests that students must take, along with IB (International Baccalaureate) tests, and AP (Advanced Placement) exams. These alone cause enough stress in students, and adding a whole new test into the mix is just making students feel like they are being evaluated on every little thing they’ve ever done.

Also, if the district cannot send employees to evaluate the teachers, you can continue to ask a faculty member of said school to appraise the teacher’s methods and the grades of students in each class. This is already a thing called CTESS, but could be less uptight about it. Students, as said earlier, need not be in this business at all. As a matter of fact, the students are attempting to opt out of the SAGE testing, but are thrust into a whole new test.

These benchmark tests just are the same thing as the SAGE pretty much, but in Hillcrest High they will affect a student’s grade, which is also unfair. What if a student doesn’t remember anything at all? What if they blank out in fear?

In conclusion, the SAGE test is completely pointless, and it’s a good thing that they are taking it away.