Filed under Features, Showcase

The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Yutzil Roman (Editor In Chief): In a world where everyone seems to have an agenda, people refuse to hear counter arguments, it’s difficult to tell reality from a mirage, and memes are our generation’s primary form of communication, news is more important than ever. Beyond the real world application the PawPrint, this class has been my rock for the past two years.

No matter what was going on, I knew I would feel better as soon as I walked through the door. Now, as I am closer than ever to leaving, all I have left is a giant basket of gratitude. Thank you Mrs. McKay for your wisdom. Thank you staff for keeping the class interesting. Thank you for allowing me to be Editor in Chief and for making our newspaper into what it is today. Without you, articles would be nonexistent…literally. Viva Mexico and papa bless.

Rabecca Monroe (Copy Editor): Being on the high school newspaper has always been a dream since I was a kid but even now, I don’t think little ten-year-old me would realize how rewarding being in this class would be. There has been so many memories and friendships made through this class. Every senior that is graduating will be missed dearly but I can’t wait to return next year and make more lasting memories.

Joe Brown (Photo Editor): I’ve learned so much from McKay’s class and the people in it. I feel like I can actually make an impact with my writing. Newspaper was and still is my safe place, even though it was stressful at times, it was still the best and most memorable class of the year. I am looking forward to next year, full of more heavily opinionated articles.

Sydney Quick (News Editor): It’s hard to find the words to say to describe the love I have for this group of people. I’ve strengthened friendships and grew closer to new people. My writing has developed, I feel I am more aware in what’s going on in the world around me, and I’ve learned- and am still learning- how to be more responsible and dedicated. What I learned was less about how to write a news article and more about how to be a better person. I will miss this class more than I can explain, but I know there are lessons I’ll take with me through life.

Maison Thiam (Features Editor): Honesty I have no idea what to write for my sign off. To condense everything I have learned and experienced this year into a short excerpt is eternally perplexing. In all honesty this year was definitely a positive experience. I would recommend doing newspaper and getting as involved in your school as possible. Experiencing what the world around you has to offer and living deliberately is the cobblestone on the path of success.

Tito Nanni (Sports Editor): Newspaper has probably been my only class throughout high school where I always enjoyed doing my work at all times. Deciding to be part of the PawPrint was one of my best decisions I have ever made, largely due in part to the amazing kids on the club and the unique friendship everyone shares with one another. I always looked forward to this class every single A day, and now that the time has come for me to leave I have to admit I am going to miss this a lot. Writing about sports while chilling with my friends is truly the best of both worlds, and I had that in this class. This is your sports editor Tito Nanni, signing off.

Kayla John (Arts and Entertainment Editor): I came from a broken family and I wasn’t very good at the whole “school” thing. The only reason I got where I was, was because my strict father kept pushing me to do my homework (and also threatening to take my phone away).

I hated all my classes to the point that I skipped the classes I didn’t enjoy (which is a bad idea kids, don’t do it). I disliked most of my teachers except for my freshman English teacher, Mr. Williamson, gym teacher Mrs. Williams, and my Newspaper teacher, Mrs. McKay. They all encouraged me to continue coming to school and motivating me to keep doing what I enjoyed.

Thanks Mr. Williamson, for teaching me to share my culture and to speak up more. To Mrs. Williams, thank you for noticing my mistakes and helping me to become a better team player. And to Mrs. McKay, thank you so much for complimenting me on my writing and helping me become a better writer, thank you for the wonderful two years being on the Newspaper staff.

I may have started on a rocky path, and got back on that path just a few weeks before graduation, but without the help of my favorite teachers and mentors (and unfortunately, my father) I wouldn’t have been where I am today. And now, no one can stop me from making some typing errors because this is me, signing off. dont tripp c,hocoLatee Chiip! SC: @kay5la_lynn

Rosi Cronshey (Editorial Editor): I love writing for the PawPrint. It gives a platform to students where they can speak out on important issues and not feel belittled due to their age or any other factor, and that’s something I feel is really special. Mrs. McKay has always encouraged me and my ideas, and it’s helped me a lot throughout all aspects of my life. I’m sincerely going to miss this class, and will look back on the fun goofs and numerous “come to jesus” meetings fondly. So, with some measure of reluctance, this is Rosi, signing off. Thank you.

Anthony Mancino (Social Media Editor): What? Newspaper is over? Wow, that was fast! Too bad I have another year left of this. Don’t get me wrong, Newspaper is great. It’s Mrs. McKay you need to watch out for. Well, bye for now. See ya next year, snitches.

Tamara Jaljouli (Social Media Editor): I learned this year in newspaper that getting articles in on time is more important than my mental health.  Until next year.

Juan Zamarripa (Reporter): Want something to do or need some cool people to meet? Come on over to the newspaper. I can’t wait to see new faces and old ones. Newspaper was one of the most complicated classes when I first started. I soon warmed up to this class and had a lot of fun. I had an awesome teacher, the chilliest I know. I met a lot of nice gals and guys, oh and Anthony. It was all chill to be with even Anthony. Fun times still to come, i’ll be back.

Sade Zupan (Reporter): This year has been a lot of fun. I’ve learned a lot about journalism and working with other people, the classroom is always fun and it’s something that’s been great to be a part of. The class is a lot different from others, you really have the ability to talk with your peers and all have fun together writing for the PawPrint. I’m happy I got to be a part of it.

Andy Schlachter (Reporter): When I joined the newspaper staff this year, I wouldn’t have guessed just how much time I would spend thinking about the ergonomics of school desks, killing the pandas, and disproving the existence of Bigfoot. I leaned about a lot of things that I never would have even thought about otherwise. As an opinion writer, it was neat to try to poke holes in other peoples’ arguments and watch them poke holes in yours, and to see arguments from the other side. I’ll say this for my year in newspaper: it was interesting.

Nuura Al-Daraji (Reporter): Newspaper taught me a lot about writing, well thanks I guess and have a good summer Mrs. McKay. It was a good class to be honest, see ya!!!

Hanna Emery (Reporter): Although I was the coolest freshman in newspaper, and newspaper was by far my favorite class, I am so happy this school year is over. Hanna Out. *drops mic*

Lauren Thompson (Reporter): I am so glad I was able to be in Newspaper my last year of high school. This was such a fun classroom environment that gave me the chance to write about the things I want to write about. My love of writing increased through this class as well as my confidence in my own abilities. There’s no better feeling than going onto The PawPrint and seeing your article published. Thank you Mrs. McKay, I don’t know how you do it!

Luz Orozco (Reporter): Through newspaper I learned a lot, like how to write. I later discovered I don’t completely suck at it.

Morgan Oviatt (Reporter): This class has been an extremely eye opening experience, being able to write and meet so many new people, and the feeling of having something published is an amazing feeling. I will look back at this time in the horribleness of high school and be able to smile from one of the best classes and best teacher.

William Olsen (Reporter): I had to switch out of a class and I was given many options, but out of all of them, I chose this one. Thanks for filling my schedule, and thanks for teaching me how to find flaws in news articles so I can feel smart when I read the news.

Luke Hall (Reporter): Many tragedies have befallen us during the 2016-2017 school year: we voted in a well-dressed orangutan into office, many of our childhood icons have fallen victim to disease, age, and just bad timing. But the worst tragedy for the students of Hillcrest High has finally come, I won’t be writing articles about movies and television. It’s not my fault, it is the fault of time and it’s never ending mission to destroy everything we have ever loved.

Troy Brinar (Reporter): “God gave us the gift of life. It is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well”- Me “Two Roads diverged in the woods……. And I took the road less traveled”- Me

This has been your #1 reporter for The PawPrint News, Troy Brinar signing off to infinity and beyond! PeAcE oUt BOIIIIIIIIIIII

Litzi Carmona (Reporter): I’m not a junior… I’m literally still 14. @Mrs. McKay for not finding out I was a freshman until a couple months after beginning of the school year. This class is pretty lit though. I loved talking chisme with my peers and speaking out so freely to the class. This is also probably the only class I’ve gotten all A’s in. This is LITzi Carmona signing off! *Fades away*

Parker Moyle (Reporter): Newspaper has provided me with a lot of cool opportunities and has given me valuable writing experience. I have enjoyed being a part of this club!

Sadie Cook (Reporter): When this year started, I didn’t know what was in store for me. I expected everyone to just sit around, write little articles here and there, and talk about news. It was, in fact, on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. I did sit around a lot, which I didn’t mind, but there was always action happening around me. From Zach’s crazy dancing, to gossiping with Mrs. McKay, it was always an adventure. We didn’t ever really talk about news. It was always just writing our articles all period, IN. EVERY. SINGLE. CLASS. Because of Newspaper, I grew and learned a few things about myself. I found a new love for news and staying up to date with the world. I became more confident in my writing and in myself, and that has helped me in many ways. Thanks to everyone who has made this year great. This is Sadie Cook signing off.

P.S. NEVER FORGET TO TURN IN YOUR ARTICLE BEFORE MIDNIGHT OR YOU WILL FEEL MRS. MCKAY’S WRATH.

Danyelle Robertson (Reporter): Being part of the PawPrint this year has taught me so many things. I love writing and reporting, and I wouldn’t have known that if it weren’t for this class. Even though I will miss newspaper, I’m so excited for summer!!

Sidney “Jay” Maudlin (Reporter): This year, I have been feeling even happier than ever. This is because I have Newspaper, and everyone is acting friendly with me. Newspaper is a class where everyone is accepted, and they have been being kinder to me than most of the outside world ever has been to me. I have felt like this class is helping not only my writing, but my self-esteem and my own true self. I have to thank everyone, but most of all Ms. McKay, the best teacher to have ever graced this classroom. I am so sorry that I have to leave. Mischief Managed, otherwise anyone can read it. :)

Casey Hake (Reporter): It’s over, it’s finally over. Thankful for all the friends I’ve made and the memories I’ll cherish. Keep it real y’all.

Mrs. McKay: The PawPrint News staff worked their tails off this year to provide Hillcrest with fair and balanced news. News reporting is incredibly important in an environment where the media is under attack. The ability to read valid news and report objectively is becoming increasingly important. Thomas Jefferson said, “Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.” Remember this, reporters. It’s been real!

1 Comment

One Response to “The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017”

1. Principal Leavitt on June 5th, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks to all the students who worked so hard this year publishing the Paw Print. Your insight and writing were well done and meaningful.

Principal Leavitt

[Reply]

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Stage crew review

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

The best time of the year

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Belle Nanni: Half student, half princess

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Athlete of the week: Imogen Holdsworth

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Hanna Emery: Indie band lover

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Iphone X: Best Iphone yet?

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Anthony Mancino: Future cosmetologist

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Alex Baker: Spain’s wonder

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Cameron McCleary: Kid with the curly hair

• The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017

Features

Edwin Cazier: Male J.K. Rowling?

The PawPrint: Signing Off 2017