Musical Mayhem

It’s that time of the year again when the performing arts department gets the whole school involved with a musical for anyone who wants to participate.

This year directors RaNae Dalgleish, Joshua Long, Austin Hilla and Chelsea Lujan got together and made the courageous decision to do Les Miserables (Les Mis.) With Musicals come rehearsals from September through November.

Leads in Les Mis have very difficult characters to achieve to make audiences believe the

“Rehearsals are very important I go every day after school and practice my heart out and I’m just trying to get better because Thenardiers is a comedic way to get people to laugh, she is the person and how to get people to just be stressed about death and destruction everyone in the cast lives.” said Senior Cedi Christensen who will be playing Madame Thenardiers

Some leads like senior Gabe Aina have to make everyone believe he can fall in love with his love interest, Cosette, in a day and that he can’t live without her.

“Marius is really heart driven when he sees Cosette, he sees her and immediately is taken by her, it’s so hard to wrap my head around that part of somebody because I don’t walk through the halls and see one person and like that’s the person I’m going to marry and pursue them for the rest of my days. To get into character I try to find qualities that I think will connect them on a human level more, I’m not driven by my heart but i know what it feels like to like somebody, because that’s a human quality and i intensify that and i do that by tactics not emotions.” Says Senior Gabe Aina who will be playing Marius in Les Miserables.

With only a few weeks left before the cast performs “It actually surprised me by how quick it went but i think we will be okay.” Says Junior Grace Kratz

Les Miserables will showcase a lot of what it takes to be a better person and you can see that on November 16, 17, 18, and 20th in the in the Hillcrest High School auditorium. Tickets are available at hillcresttheater.com