Filed under Showcase, Sports

Basketball: Stay motivated and focused

Hillcrest athletes are now on their last journey in the game they were attached to since freshman year, basketball.  This game has taught them to be motivated and focused inside and outside of the court.

“There are no other teams that I have been with that are like Hillcrest basketball,” said senior Bassel Tekarli.  “There is a different family dynamic.  I have had the chance to play with a lot of seniors that influenced the way I have played and it developed the way I influence others.”

Tekarli has been a part of Hillcrest basketball since freshman year.  He plans on doing some damage in the playoffs this year since the team is senior heavy, which he is excited for.  

The girls basketball team also has big plans for this year.  They hope to make it into regions and far into the state tournament.  The new girls’ basketball coach, Devin Olenick, came to Utah from South Carolina.

“I have been coaching girls basketball for five years now, and have greatly enjoyed my time doing so,” said Coach Olenick.  “Girls typically trend towards being a bit more humble and have a willingness to accept coaching which makes coaching females a rewarding process.”
The new coach is determined to train the girls to play their best in the middle of February with a healthy roster. The team’s goal is to gel together as a unit and stay on the floor and work their absolute best on the court.

“I have been on the team all four years, it has been a long ride and I am excited to end it with my teammates,” said senior Olivia Palepoi.  “Preseason is a good start for us to get on our feet.  I have had three different coaches these past few years and they have all influenced us to be our best and to try our hardest.  They also have been trying to get us to play college basketball which most coaches don’t push for.”

Coach Olenick wants the school to see the dedication and hard work the girl’s basketball team has put into the game. With six seniors on the team, they will see significant playing time.

“I have also been on the team all four years,” said senior Hope Higgs.  “My coaches have given me a passion to play and motivation not just to do better in basketball, but also to push myself farther in life.

Both teams have high hopes and plan to dominate this year and would love to receive support from their peers.  Huskies must show up to the games and provide as much support as possible to make it a year to remember.

About the Writer
Tamara Jaljouli, Features Editor

2016-2017 Social Media Editor
 2015-2016 Reporter