Dressing for education

The school dress code at Hillcrest High is completely reasonable, but only to a point. There have been several people who have been questioning the policy of the hats and the having to cover one’s shoulders. The students have even been sent home because their clothing is “too revealing.”

Female students find it insulting that they aren’t allowed to show their shoulders, as the school may find it ‘distracting’ or many of the male sex would find it ‘distracting.’ This could be interpreted in a negative way, for example, they may believe that it’s prioritizing the education of the male students in the school.

The female students believe that the school dress code is implying that hiding her body is more important than her education. They’re telling her that making sure the boys have a distraction-free learning environment is more important than her education. It seems to be implying that boys are more entitled to an education than she is.

On the other hand, the hats policy is more understandable, as the school’s cameras need to be able to tell who a student is in a moment of crisis. They have to look through the hallways’ cameras to help pinpoint who it was that did the said thing. Some students would say that the school could figure out who you are by the logo on the hat, but there are several people who wear the exact same hat at school. Also, hats have a way of hiding your eyes from teachers when you look down, and they wouldn’t know whether or not you have been cheating on whatever you’re doing.