Filed under Showcase, Sports

Underdogs we can all root for

Ammon Julia is a 6’5” senior at Hillcrest High School. Julia has always loved the game of basketball and has tried out for the high school team each of his four years at Hillcrest. Although when you see him you would assume he is on the high school team, he actually wasn’t.

Julia’s freshmen year he was cut and his sophomore year yielded the same result. Once again Julia tried out his junior year and was cut. Almost anyone that had been cut three years in a row would just throw in the towel and move on, however, Julia did the opposite.

“Trying every single year and getting cut just gave me more motivation to work harder at it,” said Julia.

Julia, like always, decided to try out his senior year as this would be his last chance to try to make the team. Also to make the task harder, Julia was trying to make a team that was returning 6 former players his age and historically it has been very difficult to make the team as a senior.  However, with his size and length, much improved skills, and a killer shot, Julia made it impossible for the coaches to cut him. Finally after four long years Ammon Julia is part of the hillcrest basketball team.

“It felt great! It was a big relief to finally make the team,” said Julia.

Another student had a similar experience as Julia: junior Alex Brubaker. He may be one of the smallest guys walking the halls of Hillcrest High School, standing around 5’4”, but Brubaker has a strong love for the game of basketball and dreamed of making the high school team.

Bottled up with lots of energy and excitement, Brubaker tried out for the team his freshmen year and was cut. Shattered, Brubaker decided not to try out for the team his sophomore year.

“I didn’t tryout sophomore year because I thought I would get cut again and thought that it was kind of embarrassing to get cut,” said Brubaker. “Junior year I realized that it was stupid not to try because I would have kept on wondering what would have happened if I did try out. So before tryouts I wasn’t sure if I wanted to yet, but I still went to all the open gyms and everything, then I decided to just go to tryouts because I might as well.”

By trying out, Alex was putting himself out there, knowing that he would probably be cut because of his size. However, tryouts yielded good news for Alex this year.

“I was kind of surprised when I made the team,” said Brubaker, “I was just so excited to be on the team, I am proud to say that I am a part of the Hillcrest basketball team.”

These two men defied the odds and persevered through very challenging times demonstrating some of the most noble characteristics anyone could aspire to have. These two young men are an example to all of us.