Filed under Sports

Greatest Of All Time?

The Michael Jordan versus LeBron James debate has been an ongoing debate in the NBA for years. Throughout their years in the league, they have led the way as the greatest in their generation.

Michael Jordan played a total of 15 seasons playing from 1984-93, 1995-99, then again from 2001-03 in the NBA, and LeBron James is going into his 15th this 2017-2018 season. Both Jordan and James won rookie of the year, and when their teams won in the NBA championship, they were named the MVP for the finals.

“I think Michael Jordan forever and always will be the greatest to ever play the game,” said junior Brady McCleary, a basketball player for Hillcrest High School. “He changed basketball forever. There will never be another player with that kind of influence in basketball.”

In contrast, Junior Andrea Vasquez who plays for Hillcrest High School says, “LeBron changed the league in his generation and impacted them in a way that Jordan never did.”

She continues, “LeBron has an impact on the court that makes you want to be better and he does it without a stacked team. LeBron is powerful in that way.”

Jordan has the advantage in the total amount of points he has scored in his career, with 32,292 points, which is just under 3,000 more points scored than James.

However, James has bested Jordan in rebounds and assists. In Jordan’s second season in the NBA, he broke a bone his left foot and was out until late February. This resulted in a loss of games, making James, although still in his 15th season, play 31 more games than his counterpart Jordan has played.

Based on championships, Michael Jordan has six and James has three; another category where MJ has LBJ beat. Michael Jordan also has five season MVPs and LeBron James has four, which although is impressive, it’s still another loss to the reigning Greatest Of All Time (G.O.A.T.).