Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Man flu, or common cold?

When your mother is sick, does she mope around in bed all day and get some rest, or does she push through and do what is needed around the house? Now think about your dad. He probably is very tired and over exaggerating the pain. This is what is known as “the man flu.”

The term refers to men having symptoms of the common cold, but assuming them to be the flu. Although the term refers to the cold being mistaken for the flu, it is possible that men overemphasize many other illnesses, while in reality it is a smaller illness than what they believe it to be.

According to an article published by science daily, it is believed that women have a stronger immune system than that of a man. “We believe this is due to the X chromosome which in humans contains 10% of all microRNAs detected so far in the genome,” says Dr. Claude Libert, a scientist from Ghent University in Belgium.

Basically, what this means is that because of the X chromosome, there are more messengers for DNA telling the body to create proteins, making her body stronger and less prone to illness.

This explains not only why men overstate small symptoms like the common cold, but are diagnosed more with diseases such as cancer. According to Web MD, “The male-female ratios for lung cancer were 2.31 to 1… For leukemia, the male-female ratio was 1.75 to 1.” Their immune systems simply aren’t strong enough, resulting in more diagnoses of cancer and other illnesses.

Men do in fact overstate their sickness, and are often lazy, mopey, or aggravated. Although their immune systems are weaker, that doesn’t give them an excuse to know the difference between diseases and push through. In society, men are viewed as strong and hardworking (mostly), so it’s senseless of why they become so weak when they get a stuffy nose and fever.