Filed under News

Keaton Jones: Never okay

eonline.com

Many across the nation watched as Keaton Jones tearfully told his mother about his day at school. In the seat of the mother’s vehicle. As he recounted the torment, it was revealed that peers called him ugly, mocked his nose, and said he didn’t have any friends. They put ham down his clothes and poured milk on him.

“It’s not ok,” he kept repeating. His message resonated with many, reaches both bullies and the victims of such bullying. The hashtag “#standwithkeaton” quickly started to trend as the video tallied millions of views online.

Celebrities were quick to rally behind the young boy. They all agreed on the basic statement that this boy’s treatment was intolerable.

Chris Evans, also known as Captain America in the popular Avengers movies, said on twitter, “Stay strong, Keaton. Don’t let them make you turn cold. I promise it gets better. While those punks at your school are deciding what kind of people they want to be in this world, how would you and your mom like to come to the Avengers premiere in LA next year?”

Even the Tennessee Titans invited Keaton to a football game. The quarterback of his hometown Tennessee Volunteers showed up to hang out.

Jarrett Guarantano said on twitter, “So I got the chance to spend the day with my new best bud Keaton. It was unbelievable to get to know him and realize that we have a lot in common. This dude is very special and has changed my life forever. Now I have the little brother I always wanted! God bless you my man.”

Miles away in New Jersey, Joseph Lam started a fund for Keaton, with an unknown purpose. One could assume it would be to send him to a private school or help his family pay for college. Regardless, it raised a total of $58,000 raised by over 2,000 people.

There has been controversy surrounding the mother of Keaton Jones, Kimberly Jones, when it was revealed she posted a smiling picture with the confederate flag in July 2015. She claimed they were meant as jokes.

Despite backlash, the support was still overwhelming for Keaton’s situation.

Lam even went as far to defend him on the GoFundMe campaign, “THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE MOM!! However passing judgment on her before you know her is a form of bullying,” he wrote. “We have to be the voice for the voiceless. In the video I saw a kid crying not just for himself but for others. To me that’s a kid with a heart of gold and deserves praise.”